Orgalime Guideline: Article 4 of the Energy Efficiency Directive (2012/27/EU) regarding Building Renovation
Published: 28 January 2014
Policies & Issues: Energy & Climate
Orgalime fully supports the Energy Efficiency Directive, which establishes a common European framework of measures for the promotion of energy efficiency to implement the 2020 EU objectives and pave the way for further energy efficiency improvements. As regards its implementation, it should be ambitious, harmonised and timely to succeed in achieving its goals.
We supported the Commission’s initiative to develop interpretative notes on main provisions of the Energy Efficiency Directive. However, no guideline has been developed for the implementation of Article 4 of the EED, which foresees that Member States shall establish long term strategies for mobilising investments in the renovation of residential and commercial buildings, both public and private, by 30 April 2014.
To contribute to the development of national building roadmaps that will indeed push energy efficiency when renovating buildings, Orgalime would like to provide the following key recommendations. Orgalime also invites regulators to take up these principles in the design of these national strategies:
- Set up a clear and simple target for all buildings according to the type of building
- Foster the use, the metering and monitoring of actual energy consumption and other parameters, such as temperature and indoor air quality, take into consideration the building as a whole, including indoor air quality
- Assess the building in its overall environment: it should be considered as a key element of smart cities in interaction with smart energy infrastructures.
- Foster deployment of energy efficient equipment and technologies in buildings
- Ensure consistency with existing legislation impacting the building envelope and technical installations
- Develop a specific roadmap for commercial buildings
- Make reference and use of existing standards
- Initiate or support funding schemes for energy saving measures
- Raise awareness on energy efficiency in buildings
- Consult all relevant stakeholders, including the whole business chain and consumers