No need to reform the internal market for industrial products
Published: 16 April 2013
Policies & Issues: Internal Market - Compliance, Standards & Enforcement
Orgalime welcomes the European Commission’s open consultation of stakeholders on remaining barriers to the free movement of industrial products.
We support Commission’s statement in its 'Industrial Policy Communication Update': a fully functioning internal market is a “key tool to achieve a highly competitive social market economy”.
In this context, engineering companies represented by Orgalime in Europe have six key messages to communicate to policy makers.
- Professional non-harmonised sectors do not require harmonised health and safety regulation at European-level.
- In harmonised sectors, full harmonisation is needed for all national rules and requirements for placing products on the market.
- Market surveillance needs to be stepped up.
- Products and applications related to Key Enabling Technologies (KETs) do not require specific legislation; some adjustments in existing legislation could support the uptake of KETs.
- Products and applications related to 3-D printing do not need to be regulated at EU level.
- Harmonised legislation at EU level should be consistent.