Action Plan Sustainable Consumption and Production & Sustainable Industrial Policy
Published: 16 September 2008
Policies & Issues: Environment
On 16 July 2008, the European Commission has proposed a Sustainability Package comprising of the following initiatives:
1. Action Plan Sustainable Consumption and Production and Sustainable Industrial Policy
2. Proposal for an amendment of the Eco Design Directive 2005/32/EC
3. Proposal for a revised Eco Label Regulation 1980/2000
4. Proposal for a revised EMAS Regulation 761/2001
5. Communication Green Public Procurement
The Commission has announced that the package will be completed by further policy proposals later this year, and a revised energy labelling directive and a regulation on environment technology verification more particularly.
Orgalime generally supports the step towards promoting sustainable industrial policy and more sustainable consumption and production patterns in the EU. In our view, a policy of sustainable consumption and production and sustainable industrial policy needs to respect a number of fundamental principles in order for it to result in a win-win situation for the environment, the consumer and the industry alike.